Install Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on Haswell ASRock Z87E-ITX Hackintosh
since Haswell CPU is now natively supported by Mountain LION 10.8.5 it is very easy to
All you need for that is a legal copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.5 from the App Store, the patched BIOS for your Asrock Z87E-ITX Mainboard, Unibeast 2.1 and USB Stick with 8GB space.
- Asrock Z87E-ITX Mainboard
- I used for my project energy efficiency 35 Watt CPU: Intel i5-4570T
My whole system is consuming only 22 Watts at mid range load in that combo!
- Mountain LION from App Store
- Unibeast 2.1
- PMPatched Z87E-ITX Bios
- 8GB USB Stick
Optional like my Low Wattage Setup:
- Chenbro Mini-ITX ES34169 Case with 4 x HDD Hotswap bay and 120W PSU included
- ADATA XPG SX300 Solid State Drive (Fits in mSATA Slot of Z87E-ITX awesome!)
- Kingston HyperX blu 16GB Kit DDR3 PC3-1600 Memory
- 4x WD RED WD10JFCX 2,5 inch 1TB SATAIII HDD WD10JFCX for my ZFS Mirror1 RAID. Fast but very low power consuming!
First of all we need to prepare our Mainboard with compatible BIOS which we can download here
Download and extract the content of the zip file to your USB Stick and plug it in your PC.
On boot up hit F6 and flash the shown Bios Update.
Now its time to prepare the Mountain Lion Installer USB Stick:
Insert your USB Stick to you Mac again and open the Disk Utility application.
Click on the USB Drive on the left pane then on the partiton tab to the right.
Partition Layout: 1 Partition
Click Options choose: Master Boot Record
Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Eject your USB Stick and reattach it to your Mac
Download Unibeast 2.1 from here and run it.
Choose your USB Stick as Destination and Choose Mac App Store Mountain Lion 10.8
Click continue and enter your password.
Now it will take some time to complete the preparation process.
Eject the stick after the process has completed and plug it in your PC.
Hit F11 on system powerup and boot your USB Stick.
After some time the Mac OS Installation screen will appear.
Before you can install Mountain Lion on your PC you have to prepare your Target disk first.
Goto Disk utility on the upper tab and follow the steps again as shown above again but choose your target hdd but select GUID partition scheme under options instead of Master Boot Record.
Apply then start the installation process and Choose your new partitioned HDD as target.
After the system have completed the install process it will reboot.
The important part now is to boot your System into safe mode with boot flags: -x because else it will hang on Apple loading screen. So at the boot loader prompt choose your hdd and just enter: – following x and hit enter.
After we have successfully booted up into Mountain Lion we finally have to download and install latest Multibeast 5.5 and install chimera 2.2 from there so booting from hdd without your attached prepared usb stick is possible, kext utility and add drivers for our new platform.
Recommended Multibeast 5.5.3 Packages:
- UserDSDT/DSDT-Free Installation
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1 r2248
- Drivers > Network > Intel hnak’s AppleIntelE1000e
- Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC & FakeSMC Plugins
- Customization > Generate CPU States
- Customization > 1080P Display
- Customization > Use KernelCache
HDAEnabler1.kext, audio_ALC1150 and audio_hdmi_8series from github by toledaNot necessary anymore since ALC1150 kext now included in newest Multibeast release 5.5.3
- Bluetooth/Wifi: get the latest from osx86.net
If something went wrong after installing kext files and/or misconfigured Multibeast and System hanging in a boot loop,
i recommend you to plug your USB Stick again to your System and boot from the old bootloader with boot flag -x to get back into safe mode.